The construction tripods Also known as tripods, they are instruments that have 3 legs and a triangular or circular upper part, which allow you to stabilize an object to use it correctly. The word tripod has its origin in the Greek word “tripous”, which means “three feet”.
The legs of the tripods of construction They are adjustable, which allows the height of the device to be adjusted, in such a way that it remains at the user’s eye level and facilitates their work.
Types of tripods according to the material of manufacture
Depending on the use and the environment in which the use of a tripod, these are made of two materials:
- The aluminum tripod: it is of strong and light constitution at the same time, it is the most recommended to provide support and stability to the levels and theodolites. It is the ideal option to be used in areas with a humid climate.
- The Wooden Tripod: This apparatus is heavier, and is designed primarily for theodolite, level, and total station use. It is the best option for work in areas with high vehicle traffic, or in areas with strong winds that can affect the stability of the work area.
Type of tripods according to the work area
There are several types of tripods depending on the type of object it supports, or the area in which they are used.
In the market there are several types of tripods, among which we can mention the following:
- Laboratory tripod: used in various experiments and mainly to support an asbestos mesh and prevent the flame from directly touching the glass of the containers and to diffuse the heat in a better way.
- Photo Tripod – Used by professional photographers to capture the perfect images, avoiding camera shake.
- Surveying tripod: they are used to support various measurement instruments such as total stations, theodolites, transits or topography levels. Its legs are equipped with iron studs and stirrups that allow it to dig into the ground.
- Tripod for telescopes: stabilize the telescopes facilitating the movement of these for their focus.
- Construction tripod: used to provide stability to measuring and leveling instruments, used in the construction sector. Instruments such as construction theodolites, laser levels, rotary laser level, optical level, line laser level, laser distance meter, laser point level.
The instruments used in construction require a tripod support to be able to carry out the corresponding measurements and levels effectively and correctly, thanks to the stability and location provided by the tripod.
In this article we will focus on the construction tripod, its characteristics, functionality and general aspects.
Parts of a construction tripod
The constitution of a construction tripod it is very simple and easy to understand and use. Each of its parts allows, together, to provide the necessary support and stability to the leveling or measurement equipment that is placed on the tripod.
Head or plateau: is the piece on which the instrument to be supported is placed. This piece contains the screw that will be used to secure the device to be stabilized.
Head lift crank: this handle allows adjusting the elevation level of the head, in order to place the instrument supported by the tripod, at an ideal height to carry out the work.
Adjustment arm for vertical positioning: allows you to vary the position of the head to adjust the location and direction of the instrument placed on the tripod.
Column: it is the central axis of the tripod, it provides a point of balance to the device.
Legs: these are the 3 supports that provide stability to the tripod. These are adjustable and can be adjusted in height and extension. They have a finish that allows you to stabilize on any work area.
Locks or locking devices: they are located on the tripod legs and are responsible for securing or blocking their length, once they have been extended to the desired size.
How does a tripod work?
The essential role of construction tripods It is to stably support an instrument or device during its use, both indoors and outdoors.
The instrument to be supported must be placed and secured on the head or plate of the tripod, by means of a screw. Then we proceed to adjust the tripod legs, until reaching the appropriate height to carry out the work.
To facilitate and allow other adjustments while using the supported instrument, other configurations can be made with the use of parts of the apparatus, such as the head lift handle and the adjustment arm for vertical positioning.
In essence, the use of the tripod is very simple and practical.
Construction tripod portability and portability
Thanks to its design, the construction tripod It can be folded and minimized for easy portability.
Once the use of the tripod is finished, its legs are retracted to bring them to their minimum extension. Then they are closed, that is, they are joined together to form a single block, and then it is stored in the special bag for its practical transfer.
Some tripods have a strap or strap, which can be attached to the apparatus itself to facilitate its transfer from one place to another.
Construction Tripod Care and Maintenance
When the construction tripod It is used outdoors, it will be exposed to elements that can cause deterioration or damage. That is why it is recommended that the appliance be cleaned once the work has been completed.
Sand, mud, salt or fresh water, as well as changes in temperature, can cause wear on the material from which the tripod is made. For the adequate protection of the device, it is recommended to clean it carefully and remove traces of any external agent, after which it must be stored in its bag or cover.
For a much more effective maintenance it is necessary, from time to time, to disassemble the tripod and clean each of its parts separately. Only if required, the parts that need it should be moderately lubricated. To perform this lubrication job, care must be taken to select the proper material or lubricant.
On the other hand, the screws, washers and nuts that make up the tripod can suffer from oxidation. To avoid this, it is recommended to carry out the corresponding maintenance with antioxidant products.
The tripods construction They are very versatile work instruments, and of great use in construction. They have a wide range of uses and applications, which we will detail in future publications.