This tool is very similar to a drill, but unlike this one, it is used to drill concrete, slabs, floors and other materials for which a drill is not powerful enough. They are electric or pneumatic tools similar to a drill, but more robust and powerful.
The rotary hammer it is ideal for heavy duty jobs that tend to get stronger. Its main function is to hit in such a way that, at the same time as moving forward and backward, it also manages to screw the pieces that are impossible by hand. They have different functions: rotary hammer, chiselling and drilling.
The choice of the type of rotary hammer will depend largely on the application to be carried out, a first classification between the drilling and demolition variables could be the following:
- Hammers over 5 kg: 50% drilling and 50% demolition. Hammers below 4 kg: 80% drilling and 20% demolition.
Additionally, the drilling diameter defines the choice of the rotary hammer, taking into account that it has 20% more capacity in relation to the maximum diameter desired by the user.
How to use the Rotary Hammer?
- Pay particular attention to selecting the right accessory for the material and type of drilling you want to make. Verify that it is in good condition and properly seated in the Rotary Hammer.
- Check the fit of the accessory and verify that it has axial movement (back and forth). Remember that the percussion function requires the accessory to be able to move 3 centimeters when attached to the tool.
It is important to pay attention to the perfect use of this tool, so as not to have accidents or damage the tool.
- Pressure. When making a hole, it is not necessary to press, since this would be achieved by damaging the drill bit. rotary hammer.
- Drill diameter. This is on par with the force that can be placed on it when using it. That is why it is necessary to adapt a good, very firm position so that the force used is adequate when carrying out a job.
- Caution when drilling. When drilling it is important to allow the drill without the need for help, such as water or other substances.
- At the end of use. Be careful, when you finish using the rotary hammer, that the dust does not enter because it could cause problems later.
- Recommendations for use: wear ear protectors and dust mask. Depending on the material to be drilled, a large amount of dust and noise is generated. Have an adequate electrical installation. If we find an iron, for example when drilling a beam, bear in mind that this material will damage the bit or the accessory we are using (cup, for example).
- Recommendations for acquiring a rotary hammer: know the jobs for which it will be used. The power and type of rotary hammer to acquire. Currently there rotary hammers with better coatings to prevent dust from entering the motor, with anti-blocking security (it is dangerous when it blocks since it will screw our hands), with double handles (important for a better grip), and features that help reduce vibration and The rebound. It is also interesting that the rotary hammer include reverse, very useful when we get stuck drill or accessory. At the time of acquiring the drill bit or cups, or the different accessories for the rotary hammer, the fit of the same must be taken into account (it is not the same as that of a drill). The inserts can be: SDS, SDS PLUS and SDS MAX.
Rotary hammer with rotary hammer function:
- To drill in masonry and concrete, set the rotary hammer operating mode selector.
- Mark the piercing point with a nail or awl.
- Place the tip of the wick on the mark of the selected surface or object.
- Begin drilling by holding the tool firmly and with both hands resting against the material.
- To achieve a well calibrated hole, it is suggested to make a first hole of a diameter 3 or 4 mm smaller than that needed, to serve as a guide. Then finish it with the wick of the desired size.
- To vent the chips, partially remove the wick from time to time.
- To remove the tool from the hole, you can use the provided reversing reversal.
Types of rotary hammer:
- Electronic rotary hammer. It is very useful for certain places with difficult access, whether they are made of wood, steel and even concrete. It has a change of up to 3 tips. Its weight is 3.9 kg.
- Rotary hammer TE. It is also a light tool for its weight of 3.9 kg, which helps you have more mobility for easier work. Allows drilling in brick, floor and wall.
- New Generation Rotary Hammer. This model has the characteristics of the previous ones, but in addition to that it also screws and unscrews. In addition, for better care, it has a cooling option, which will help for its maintenance and durability in the long term.
- Li-lon cordless rotary hammer. Its weight is 3.5 kg, which helps to do a better job without major fatigue; and performs all kinds of perforations on any surface.
- Battery rotary hammer. Its use is beneficial, in part, because working with this model, which has a dust removal system, helps a better visualization. It has a lithium technology, which allows it to have a longer working life. Its weight is 4.9 kg.
- Combined rotary hammer. It is for professional use. It can be drilled from concrete, to wood and metal. Unlike others, it also helps in chiselling and finishing work. It is very practical to have a tool that can do all three of these jobs. Despite its 4 kg, it is very light, and has a very high power.
Video: How does a Rotomartilo work? What are its parts and components?