Also Known As GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding). It was formerly developed for weld metals thicker than ¼ inches, using an inert gas for protection from the surrounding atmosphere. That’s where the initials come from. MIG (Metal Inert Gas). This type of welding consists of maintaining a electrode arc solid wire consumable and the part to be Weld. The arch and the bathroom welding They are protected by an inert gas. The electrode that we use is fed continuously by a gun of welding. The use of MIG welding, has been growing due to its growing demand by companies, due to the minimum amount of material losses and its greater productivity.
MIG Welding Processes
When we talk about the basic process of this type of welds, we are essentially talking about 3 types of techniques that are very different from each other. We have the “Short Circuit” transfer, the “Globular” transfer and, finally, the “Spray Arc” transfer.
- Short Circuit Transfer: It is also known as “Short Arc”, “Thick Transfer” and “Micro Wire”. The change of the metal happens when an electrical short circuit is determined, that is, this occurs when the tip of the wire thread makes a union with the molten solder.
- Spray Transfer (Spray Arc): Occurs when small droplets of molten metal are excised from the tip of the wire and projected towards the liquefied or molten weld.
- Globular Transfer: It is a process by which the drops of liquefied metal, call it molten, are too large to sink due to the force of gravity.
MIG Welding Application
The MIG welding process, can be used to weld various materials. Carbon steels, stainless metals, aluminum, etc.
The productivity for this type of welding, Is efficient. Given the performance capacity for a electrode continuous, which does not need to be changed and with a higher deposition rate than the others.
can be done welds continuously, long, without the need for splices between cord and cord.
MIG Welding Tips
- The MIG welding, are recommended due to their ease of operation, producing high manufacturing rates for their level of performance.
- The welding instruments, such as the cables and the gun, are light, making them easier to transport and handle for the welder.
- The MIG welding, is one of the most versatile methods in terms of the variety of metals and alloys that can be used.
Precautions when Welding with MIG
- Keep a steady pace when welding.
- The type of wire that will serve as electrode in welding, as well as the protection gas, are main elements and therefore will demand higher quality welding.
- The MIG weldingThey need a source of direct and constant current, as well as a wire in continuous movement with the electrode.
Video tutorial How to MIG Weld