The motor pumps turn out to be a tool indispensable when it comes to moving large amounts of water. These machines, also called water pumpsThey do this job quickly and efficiently. They can be used for domestic use, fish farms, swimming pools, or for emergency use, drawing clean or dirty water.
The use of water pumps in some work areas it is relevant, especially when considerable amounts of water have to be mobilized for some production process.
Things you should know about motor pumps
When you want to buy a motor pump You must take into account the following elements:
- Diagrams of flow, pressure and total head. When we talk about flow we refer to the amount of water that you want to move, measured in liters and cubic meters.
- It is also important to determine the flow that you want to transfer.
- We must bear in mind that a motor pump it does not create pressure, but rather displaces the liquid, causing a flow. When resistance to flow is added, pressure appears.
How does a motor pump work?
The water pumps, just like any common hydraulic pump, they transform mechanical energy into kinetic energy. Running on electricity or fuel.
These consist of a rotating vane rotor that is submerged in the liquid. The liquid enters the pump axially from the pipeline suction to the center of the rotor by means of the motor.
The vanes move the liquid radially, making it gain energy and speed, causing it to flow outwards thanks to the centrifugal force.
All this process causes the pressure and the water goes out towards the bodies of the pump, and then out through the impulsion pipe.
When we talk about devices that contain the word “pump” we refer to fluid machines that transfer energy, pump fluids. Unlike compressors where the field is pneumatic and not hydraulic.
Also with the term “pump” we refer to machines that transport other types of compounds, such as vacuum pumps or air pumps.
Main types and uses
It is important to highlight roughly the types of water pumps that exist:
- motor pumps Of surface: they allow water to be drawn from wells, tanks or cisterns several meters deep.
- submersible motor pumps: are water pumps They are ideal for extracting water from deep areas where a motor pump of surface does not have the capacity to achieve it.
- pressure pumps: they are ideal to increase irrigation or to boost the circulation of liquid in domestic use. Very useful when the force of the water does not allow the liquid to reach the faucets and taps.
- bilge motor pumps: used to evacuate and transfer water. Some machines of this type include a system that activates and stops the pump depending on the water level to prevent it from running dry and from overheating.
Main uses of water pumps are:
- For clean water and semi-dirty water, they are responsible for pumping water, either from the pool or from the sea. Some businessmen use them to transport other liquids, such as milk or wine.
- For special liquids, whether in the field of agriculture or industrial liquids (they are usually strong substances such as acid). There are specific models for this task.
- They allow pressurized liquids to arrive anywhere. Ideal for domestic use or for irrigation. They are also used to draw deep water.
- The flow ones are intended for long-term work. They do not work under pressure, but with a wide flow.
Although the functions are more or less similar (moving liquids from one place to another, depending on the scenario in which it is found), there is the ideal motorized pump for each function. Here are some differences:
- Pressurizing pump: it is normally suitable for transporting liquids with a certain height, it varies in its power and in the transfer speed. Its models range from 30 to 60 liters per minute, and with a height of 8 to 13 meters.
- submersible pump: It is ideal for extracting water with a certain depth. Their models vary in intensity and flow, ranging from 6,000 to 12,000 liters per hour.
- Self-priming electric pump: transports the water to other areas, it is ideal when the water does not have enough force to carry it to a certain height. Its models have a maximum elevation ranging from 35 to 48 meters.
- Centrifugal electric pump: this model of Water Pump It is suitable for draining water with solid bodies (muddy water, groundwater and liquids containing short fibers).
- submersible electric pump: it differs from the previous ones because it reaches greater depths. Their models range from 10 to 53 meters.
- motor pump gasoline: unlike the previous ones, this model does not work with electricity, it is based on fuel. It works for liquids and pumps with other fluids. Among its models also varies the intensity of operation.
Depending on how you are going to use the motor pump, the amount of water, the pressure or the type of water, whether clean or dirty, the depth and the place where you want to take the liquid, you must choose the one that best suits your needs.
You can save a significant amount of money by purchasing one of these water pumps, since they can recover liquids, such as rainwater, from wells or tanks, for different uses, which helps you not have to use so much drinking water.
So, you must be clear about what you are going to need: bilge, irrigation, domestic use, improve pressure, flow, height, depth, whether or not you have electricity. Based on all these elements you can select the best Water Pump for each type of solution.