The endless bench saw machine is a cutting tool used to work with wood and metal, which by its nature must be used with certain safety criteria.
On the one hand, it belongs to the group of power tools, so it involves risks of electrocution. On the other hand, it is a tool designed to cut materials, which implies a series of risks that range from minor to serious.
Bearing all this in mind, we present a series of safety tips to make proper and correct use of the endless saw with bench.
- Validates that the supply voltage agrees with the descriptions on the identification plate of the tool.
- Verify that the outlet has the respective grounding.
- Do not replace the original polarized plug with another of another type.
- Be careful to protect the power cord from heat, oils, and sharp edges.
- Arrange the power cable in such a way that it does not get in the way or is in danger of being damaged while you work.
- Never touch the plug or outlet with wet or damp hands.
- If you use an extension cable, remember that it must have the appropriate gauge for the consumption of the machine and its length.
- Only use extension cables that have their respective grounding.
- Do not use damaged or repaired cables.
- Periodically check the power cable and validate that it is not damaged.
- You must not expose tool to rain or high humidity environments.
Work area safety
- Keep the work area clean and tidy.
- Do not use the band saw in explosive places or near flammable liquids, gases or powders.
- Use the machine in power circuits that have a differential circuit breaker, for a leakage current less than or equal to 30mA according to the standard.
- The endless saw it must be used stationary in one place, and must be firmly secured to your workbench.
Safety before starting the cutting work
- To remove or attach the cutting blade, you must first turn off and unplug the machine.
- Wear safety glasses while working with the cutting blade.
- When removing the blade from the machine, place it on a free space on the floor, away from any object or person.
- Be careful not to overstress the blade.
- After tensioning the blade you must adjust its centering with the respective knob before starting the work.
- You must align the square of the table with respect to the cutting blade.
- In case of changing blades, you must adjust the blade guides and support bearings.
- Check the correct adjustment of the guides to avoid damaging the edges of the blade teeth. This can happen if the teeth touch the fence during work.
Safety during the use of the endless saw with bench
- You must use the respective personal protection equipment: safety glasses and gloves.
- When cutting curves along a line, you must turn as you cut. Do not try to turn without advancing, this will bend the blade and harm the work.
- For curved cuts, it is advisable to place the upper cutting guide close to the work surface, in this way a better guide of the blade is achieved and the danger of accidentally touching the blade is avoided.
- Use both hands to guide the piece as you make the cut, and hold it firmly against the table.
- Use a light forward pressure, do not force the work in this way you allow the blade to cut.
- If the cut line is too complicated, cut outside the line on the side of the material to be discarded, then carefully remove the blade.
Maintenance and cleaning
- Turn off and unplug the endless saw before carrying out any repair or maintenance work on the machine.
- Clean the engine frequently using a vacuum or blower to remove any debris.
- Hook up the dust collector to a vacuum while you work to keep the interior clean.
- Do not allow dust to accumulate on the table, bearings and blade guides.
- Apply some car wax on the table, this makes it easier for the piece to slide while cutting.
- Use a stiff bristle brush or the edge of a piece of wood to remove the resin and sawdust accumulated on the rubber. Do not use a sharp knife or solvent.
- Worn tires should be replaced with new ones.
By following these recommendations, you will be able to carry out cutting work with the endless saw with bench effectively and safely.