Sand It is a technique that has gone from being a work carried out manually and by hand, to an industrial and automatic application thanks to the use of machines. Due to technological advances, today we can enjoy more sophisticated machinery that helps us sand surfaces with greater ease and less effort.
One of the power tools that has advanced with technological development is the eccentric sander; that manages to smooth, clean or polish countless surfaces of various materials such as wood, glass, plastic and even metal.
What are eccentric sanders?
Eccentric sanders are a type of sander named for having a circular sanding disc that rotates eccentrically. In this way, it ensures that its trajectory is not repetitive and an excellent finish is achieved. Being able to sand and polish surfaces of various materials, They provide numerous applications for use both in the home and in the construction environment.
Its double sanding movement that generates rotation plus eccentricity It allows us to carry out tasks removing a large amount of material, or to touch up fine finishes; since this type of sander is ideal for working curved surfaces.
The main characteristic for which this stands out type of sander It is its eccentric and rotating movement, which allows to achieve a practically perfect sanding, eliminating the greatest amount of excesses and achieving a precise finish.
Due to their circular shaped disc, these sanders cannot access edges or corners.
Another of the attributes that distinguishes eccentric sanders is their dust collector to avoid residues around the material worked. Inside they have a filter box that allows greater cleaning by separating impurities and automatically vacuuming the sawdust or dust resulting from the work.
Eccentric Sander Design
If we focus on their design, eccentric sanders are becoming lighter and more ergonomic, providing soft and non-slip grips that allow a better grip to always guarantee a secure grip. The new designs of these machines reflect that they were specially conceived to work with greater comfort.
Eccentric sanders can work with air in the case of being pneumatic, with electric current through a cable or also battery. The new models include electronic on / off control, and a cruise control with an orbit frequency ranging from 12,000 to 24,000 RPM.
We can easily adapt the revolutions of the eccentric sander to achieve a smooth and not so aggressive sanding on the material we want to work with.
The sanders have a micro-velcro adhesion system at their base that allows the elements that carry out the function of grinding or polishing to be firmly attached to the tool. However, if required, this micro-adhesion system also allows for easy replacement of the foil. sandpaper so that no type of dust enters the plate or the motor.
Eccentric Sander Features and Uses
Eccentric sanders fulfill the function of removing unwanted residues, whether in small jobs such as sanding furniture, even in large tasks such as finishing a wooden floor.
In this sense, it is worth highlighting the versatility of this tool, which also serves to sharpen metal objects, remove scratches from floors, furniture and walls, as well as remove paint and varnish from the walls.
Its great advantage is its circular sanding base of about 125 mm in diameter that facilitates the sanding of any surface and its eccentric movement that eliminates the marks left during its application.
Recommendations: eccentric sander
When carrying out mechanical work, the tool to be used must be chosen very well, and when it comes to sanding, we must select the ideal one according to the surface to be treated and take into account all the necessary care to carry out this work.
Here are some general recommendations for the purchase, proper use and maintenance of the product:
- If you want to buy an eccentric sander, try the handle of the machine. If it is easy to grip, its weight is comfortable and it provides minimal vibration during power-up, you can easily slide it across the surface to be sanded, reducing fatigue throughout the day.
- Although this tool comes with a dust and debris collector, it is always recommended to wear protective glasses and a dust mask to avoid lung injury.
- Make longitudinal, transversal or circular movements depending on the finish you want to achieve.
- To avoid fatigue in the hands and arms, carry out the sanding work taking periods of rest, and do not exceed its use if you feel any discomfort in the back, shoulders, arms or chest.
- You can clean the machine by removing dust from the vents, motor housing and safety devices, using a cloth or low pressure compressed air.
- If you notice any broken or faulty parts, request the change in an authorized technical service to repair the product.
- Prevent water from entering the sander, it could cause electric shock. If you notice excessive sparks, check the carbon brushes with the advice of an electrician; These may require change.
Eccentric sanders were designed for construction professionals, carpenters, brassworkers, craftsmen, or hobbyists who wish achieve an excellent sanding finish on a dry surface and preferably flat or with circular edges; being able to extend its use to various materials.
It is a useful tool for most sanding, both for sanding fine finishes to small surfaces, and for removing large materials and residues from slightly larger surfaces.
Now, that you already know all the characteristics and uses of the eccentric sander, do you dare to try it?