One of the activities that is carried out frequently is to check the levelness of a surface. This work is the responsibility of several professionals since it is carried out in various areas, such as carpentry, construction, engineering, masonry, decoration, among others.
As instruments to use to check the surface leveling, tools have been designed that we can currently find on the market. As one of the best options, we have the surface laser level that we wrote about in another white paper.
At the time of buy a surface laser level, we must take into account several aspects to select the one that best suits our needs.
What to consider when choosing a Surface Laser Level?
Among the factors that we must take into account is in the first place, the kind of surface with which we are going to work, its characteristics, extension or dimensions. Based on the information from our work area, we can focus on the properties of the measuring tool to use, and based on it, make the appropriate selection of it.
- Laser class: the power of the laser provides greater visibility and reach to the projection lines of the level. If the extension of the area to work is considerable, it is best to have an instrument whose laser is class 3R. Always remembering that direct contact of the beam with our eyes should be avoided. The use of Protection glasses, which sometimes come as part of the tool accessories.
- Work area without receiver: taking into account the distance to be covered during the surface verification, the scope of the tool must be taken into consideration to carry out the validation work of the area. In some cases, the range of the device is 10 m, without a receiver. This implies that the possibility of using a receiver or not to expand the scope of the tool should be considered.
- Work area with receiver: Knowing the option of using a receiver to extend the working range and number of meters of reach of the tool, it is a matter of knowing if it is required or not. If required, this additional accessory should be taken into account, which works as the perfect means to extend the effectiveness of the instrument to 20 m
- Self-leveling angle: If the work instrument offers the option of self-leveling, this would represent points in favor at the moment of the choice of the tool for the work. In the case of surface verification, the presence of unevenness is corrected with the automatic leveling, which allows to stabilize the apparatus to execute the verification of the area without effort on the part of the user. The tools have a certain self-leveling angle, which indicates the range of inclination that the appliance can compensate automatically.
- Leveling accuracy: detecting surface irregularities requires precision to get the correct reading, so it is important to have an acceptable level of precision. This factor in any tool is decisive when selecting which one to use. An accuracy of plus or minus 0.3 mm / m is acceptable in any field or work area when it is required to verify the leveling of a surface.
- Protection level against water and dust: Instruments designed for use indoors generally do not have protection against external environmental factors that may affect their functionality. However, if the tool is protected against splashing water and against dust, this would be a favorable aspect in terms of durability and life of the instrument.
- Projection lines: when laser tools one of the priority aspects to be analyzed is the laser beam line emitted by the instrument. The projection and clarity of the line constitute the basis of the functionality of the tool. As well as the quality of the laser line, the number of lines emitted by the device is of equal importance, since this allows, to a greater or lesser degree, to carry out the work easily and in a practical way.
- Weight: the weight of surface laser level, is another factor to consider. The ease of transportation and handling of the instrument is important if you are working alone or with few personnel. In addition to this, although it seems of less relevance, if the tool has a handle or design that allows a secure grip, this would make the instrument an easy device to move and manipulate.
- Power supply: Another aspect that must be studied is the service time of the tools. The battery used by the instrument gives it a longer service time than the time of a standard working day, allowing the execution of the work without interruptions from the device’s power source. In any case, there are brands that provide additional batteries at more than reasonable costs, some have even recently managed to homogenize them so that they can be used in different tools, which has notably improved the performance of the batteries. cordless tools.
- Sturdiness: Some of the parameters to verify about this factor are: the design, material and protection mechanisms of the tool. This set of parameters should result in a long durability of the life time of the apparatus.
These are just some of the parameters that can be used to evaluate the purchase of a surface laser levelWe reiterate that the main thing is to align the technical specifications of the instrument with the practical application, in this way, the investment is optimized.
Learn step by step, How to use a surface laser level?